Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Get me off this merry-go-round!

Well, here I was just living my life peacefully, without a blog in the world, when all my friends start blogging and the next thing you know, I'm here, bitten by the blogging bug. There have been a few times over the past couple years that I'd almost been bitten but I managed to squeeze by unscathed ...you know, the Geo blog, and the ODWonn mega-blog. But this latest virus has been pandemic in scope, infecting all my cycling buddies in one fell swoop. Resistance was futile and I've now been assimilated.

So all my athletic friends are heading to the Kansas Ironman this coming weekend and I'm feeling like a big L when it comes to my training and fitness this year. I changed positions at work earlier this year and they asked me to get ready to move to Dallas. Things have been crazy with layoffs at least every quarter and everyone scrambling around the mulberry bush or the cobblers bench before "pop-goes-the-weasel". There's been precious little time between me trying to fix the house up to sell, learning my new job, and scrambling to keep survive the latest layoffs, to be consistent with any of my training. The only consistency has been going to see Rebecca twice a week for a workout session. Thank God for Rebecca!

Last week I made a whirlwind business trip to San Antonio leaving at 5:30 AM Wednesday morning and flying back late Thursday night. Then I had to leave at 7:00 AM Friday morning for a last-minute drive to Dallas for a noon meeting and then come back same day. It was insane. So on my way back home from Dallas I started thinking it might be time to get off this crazy merry-go-round, as in ......no Dallas, no more crazy job, no more late nights and early mornings, no more rushing around trying to escape the latest layoff.

You may be asking yourself "what will she do if she doesn't have the merry-go-round to cling to, how will she survive?" Good question! So I've been busy listening to Maggy as she gets all her ducks in a row with college and pursuing a nursing degree, and I've looked into some programs and schools .....I told myself it was mostly for her. But in the back of my mind I keep remembering a conversation I had with Lisa L. last year about how she quit work and went back to school to become an anesthetist. When she told me about it I was like "Wow, if I ever had the chance to ..." but you know, I suddenly realized that I have a chance right now. I will have some $$ in my fat little fist after I sell the house, at least enough to pay off my bills and my car, and enough left over to actually quit my job, move in with my mom for 2 years, and go for a nursing degree. It won't be easy, but it's not like life has been easy these past few years anyway. OK, everyone cross your fingers for me on this because I'm ready for Part Deux of my life to be filled with some REAL life.

Thanks for reading, I think this is going to be fun. Resistance is futile .....start blogging blogging blogging blogging

9 comments:

dewonn43 said...

Dang Girl ... that's some wild & crazy stuff you got going on ...

I know all about the layoff deal or "work force reduction plan" as they call it at our work ... Anyway I have stayed of the radar thru all of that and after 28 years at the same place (11 of those telecommuting) I'm still there ...

Glad to hear you are taking control ... Hopefully you are planning on working in some riding during this change in direction ... several of us have been training hard ... to build a great fitness vehicle to do cool fun stuff with ... after all if it ain't fun why are we doing it??????

By the way ... glad to see you have been over-powered by "The Force" ...

Now with all of you guys getting in on the action ... I have got to get my blogging back in gear ... been static for a couple of months ... but I have posted about 800 photos this year (still got to get my LR Super Sprint TRI photos posted which will push me close to 1000 photos posted for the year) ... on my photo site ... kinda like a photo log ... which I have dubbed a "phlog" ...

And as I told Rebecca ==> Blog on "My Wayward Sister" (a little KANSAS rock group phrase) ...

Ironman said...

Welcome to blogging! We are glad you will be hanging around the Rock instead of moving. You will do fine in Nursing School.
I have secretly considered moving away form IT myself. However, once the borg get you, it is hard to get out.
Ok, when did L get the blond hair? The last time I saw her it was..well..I am not sure what color is was last time I saw her. Was it green, or blue or.......

jo said...

Hey girl! Been missing you so this is a great way to keep up with all your friends! Yeah, I know all about that different career thing- I've been thinking about it for 10 years now!

Sarah said...

Jenny, I'm so excited for you! You're totally taking charge and doing what best for YOU! Kudos.

Yale D. Funk said...

Jenn,

You make me smile...Good for YOU!!!

Yale D.

Iron Maiden said...

Jenny, my little P90X monkey, I'm so proud of you! I've thoroughly enjoyed working with you for the last few months. We need to have a girls' night soon as I'm due for some relaxation after Kansas. Glad you're here!

Iron Maiden

be glad i aint your kid said...

i thought you were miss fix-a flat?

Spinnin Jenny said...

WOW! It's great getting all these comments from everyone, I feel like I haven't talked to most of you in awhile. Yeah DeWonn, I've thought about trying to stick it out where I'm working but it's looking pretty grim and I've been looking for a retirement career for years and this sounds like the ticket. Ironman, L's hair changes like the weather. Today it has bright pink streaks in it. Hey, at least she has hair eh? Jo, you and me both on looking for a career change and 10 years is about there. Something nice about knowing I'll get it all done before I turn 50. When you see Lisa L, thank her for me. The bug was planted after that conversation with last year on a bike ride. Ironmaiden, I can't even MOVE today .....screw P90X!!!Man, I've never been this sore from ANY of our workouts. I went out and bought a bottle of vino tonight to numb my pain. Riding my bike up Overlook this evening was excrutiating, I looked like a big baby! Sarah, your blog is very entertaining, I had to read Haters to my youngest, that was just too cool. I've gotta get my bike in for a tune-up before I start living the lean life. It'll hafta last awhile. And Yale, always good to hear from you but what I need is to see your smilin face!

Spinnin Jenny said...

And Mags, I'd be glad you aint my kid except you is my kid!!