Monday, June 16, 2008

My car thought it was a truck this weekend

Meant to get a post in over the weekend but Lauren & I worked our tushes off ....figuratively. She doesn't have much of a tush to work off and mine appears to all still be back there where I left it.

We started the weekend off by setting flea bombs off in the house Friday evening. You see, I really do like cats, but only one or two at a time. Lauren, on the other hand, would like to turn this house into a cat asylum....or zoo. Anyway, seems we acquired fleas about a week ago so we treated the cats with FrontLine and by the time we set the flea bombs off, I had the heebie-jeebies about fleas so we stayed all night at my sister's. Good thing too, because we took some snacks and wine down to the apartment swimming pool and after a little while, Lauren blasted off like a kamikaze jumping into the pool fully clothed. After a little vino, Gail and I decided to join the girls and we jumped in fully clothed too. We looked like idiots, but we were the only ones down there so it was OK.

When we came back Saturday morning, we had to open the house and let it air for about an hour before coming back in so we decided to get started on our work list. We'll have the house listing show up this coming Saturday and our Open House on Sunday so we have a big list of jobs to complete to get everything ready. So in our pajamas, Lauren and I drove over to the Horticare nursery and in pajamas and unbrushed hair, we got out and loaded the car up with caladiums, a few flowers, and as much mulch as we could fit in the hatch. They were pretty amused at Horticare that we were going to pick up a load of mulch in my little hatchback. They asked where we were going to put the mulch and I just told them in my hatch. So we laid down some big orange trash bags in the back and loaded up.

Later Saturday afternoon, after Lauren and I had worked all day on our front yard landscaping, we headed back out to Horticare to pick up yet another load of mulch. This time we came with a bunch of clothes hampers lined with trash bags AND we had them load the hatch up one more time. When I was checking out, I told the guy that my car thought it was a truck today. He said "Today, it IS a truck!" I'll post pictures of the house and all the nice landscaping on Friday after all the bags of clippings get picked up Thursday. The house looks great right now and we're starting to get excited about getting it listed finally.

The rest of the weekend was spent doing more big jobs around the house. It seems like every time I turn around I see more repairs that need to be done. Plumbing jobs, fixing doors, cleaning windows and screens, trimming hedges, cleaning ceiling fans, touch up paint. I must just be oblivious to all this stuff on a regular basis. If I can manage to keep the house 'straight' and the yard mowed, I'm doing good.

I'm absolutely exhausted from all this work though. Halfway through today, I couldn't even think straight anymore. I signed off from work for the afternoon and took care of the leaking showers with the help of the guys at Fuller Hardware. I'm glad there are still some guys out there that know how to fix things. I'm amazed at how many guys these days don't really know much about basic plumbing or electrical work. I've had to learn how to do all this stuff as I've been working on the house so I guess if you need anything done, I'm available to show off my new skills. I can replace old light fixtures, replace toilet kits, faucets ...... I've even rented the roto-rooter from Home Depot and know how to clean out my lines.

So, put me on everyone's prayer list that someone makes a great offer on the house this weekend. Oh yeah, and I meet with Dr. Schlumberger at UALR for their nursing program tomorrow so cross your fingers that I get accepted for the Fall semester on the accelerated program.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Let's see....since you're experienced in landscaping, painting, electrical, and flea bombing-you could just move in here and take care of the house and animals in exchange for rent. We've been working on our "fixer" for a couple of years already, so there are plenty of unfinished projects!

Spinnin Jenny said...

Bring it on Sarah! With "google" as my sidekick, there's no job I can't look up the 'how to' on. I've even found some youtube videos that show you how to do things like plumbing and light fixture stuff.

jo said...

You are really going for the nursing program! That is awesome- you are my hero! Perhaps you will be my inspiration to change careers since I've been threatening to do it for 10 years now! Good luck at UALR!